Saturday, October 25, 2008

Week 9 Post 3

The key concept that stood out to me in chapter 12 was that intercultural communication couldn’t be avoided. I believe that as Americans we follow the Burger King slogan to a T and that is " Have it your way." We want life to be convenient and easy. But when it comes to intercultural communication life can't be simple. We don't live in a world anymore where all of your neighbors are the same race as you nor speak the same language. Frankly I think we are better off living in diversity, but it does force us to become more patient and better communicators.

My grandma gets really frustrated shopping at Wall Mart because many of the workers are Hispanic and don't speak English. She has this backwards mind set that everyone in America has to speak English in order to live here, however; this just isn't the way our world is anymore.

I personally think it is great that we live in a country that has so many different cultures and ethnicities present. Just look at SJSU we are wonderfully diverse which isn't the case for most college campuses. I believe communication between different cultures can be difficult but it is more rewarding. Learning how to work with all different kinds of people, male, female, black, white rich or poor, makes us better of I individuals.

No comments: