Friday, November 14, 2008

Etiquette

Review the etiquette rules suggested in the text. Respond to each one. Have you ever been bothered by cell phone, answering machines, or beepers? What do you feel about call waiting? Is it rude to put people on hold to take another call?

In this day and age I feel it is next to impossible to survive without a cell phone. I have many friends who don't even have a land line because the easiest way to reach the is through their cell. However, I do feel that there are proper and respectful ways to use a cell phone. I just went to see the new James Bond movie tonight and I love the preview where a loud annoying cell phone is going off and interrupting a really important part of the actors conversation, there is an awkward pause and then a voice that says "Please don't add your own sound effects to the movie turn off your cell phones." When you are in a meeting or at a movie it is rude to have your cell phone on and even more rude to answer it during a movie.

Answering machines and or voice mails services are vital in order to receive important messages. Some people are email people and other are cell phone people. I myself am more attached to my cell so it is never wise to only shoot me an email I will need a voicemail too. In terms of etiquette I really despise voice mails that is loud music playing, or the worst is when people pretend they are there and say hello and they make you think you have reached the person when you really haven't.

I personally don't like call waiting because when I am talking to someone especially a good friend I haven't seen in awhile I hate hearing the annoying beep in my ear. The beep causes me to put my friend on hold in order to click over and tel the other person I will call them back. I don't think it is rude to put people on hold it can just be inconvenient sometimes.

No comments: