Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week 4 Post 1

Unfortunately I don't listen to a lot of public speakers and I rarely watch the election campaign debates so my reference of public speaking is mostly influenced by my church. In my first week of blogging I talked about a speaker named Mark Moore. Mark is definitely one of my favorite speakers but because I have already talked about him I will choose someone else. The speaker I want to talk about is Mark Shultz.
Mark is a man of many talents. He is primarily known for singing because he is a worship artist in the Christian Industry. When I went to see Mark Shultz in concert in San Francisco I was surprised at how good of a public speaker he was.  I was more impressed with the words Mark shared at his concert then the songs he sang, which is amazing because he is an incredible artist.
The qualities I liked in Mr. Shultz as a speaker was his humility and honesty. All of his songs were written for people he knew that would need encouragement or to rejoice with people who were celebrating good times. He spoke from the heart and it was real. I like listening to people who have a natural way of speaking and a humanistic quality. Nobody wants to listen to a rehearsed robot. I am not saying that speeches shouldn't be thoroughly researched and prepared, because they should. However every speech needs some emotion or pathos in my opinion for it to truly soar. 
In regards to a bad speaker I have listened to many bad speakers. I have mentally tried to block out the bad ones, no specific speaker comes to my mind. The qualities of a bad speaker are dry, unapproachable, impersonal, unprepared, boring and a bad time management. Why is it that the most boring horrible speeches go on forever? A speaker should know how to make their point in a string, clear and concise way. 

No comments: